Talk Therapy- yay? Nay?

Touchy subject, I suppose. In my opinion talk therapy with a licensed counselor is very helpful when navigating complex trauma, or just regular everyday feelings.

I went through some tings’ as a kid - who hasn’t.. but it left me with some scrambled brains, tons of pain, confusion and fear. So I went to therapy. At first I thought it was just for a few weeks to deal with a recent loss I had. I quickly realized that I was frozen solid in a freeze response and that I was incoherent when trying to tell my story in chronological order or otherwise. 

It has taken years, but I have to say that it’s helped. Having someone to be there to talk you off the ledge, or to even celebrate when you just survived a week. 

If you are thinking about therapy, I would give it a shot. It is very nice to talk to someone that is not connected to you, doesn’t know your cast of characters, and is solely responsible for helping you keep course. 

It is expensive, and it can be considered a privilege. I started out with student counselors doing their hours (discounted sessions) Somehow I found the right person for me, and stayed with the same counselor until they opened up their own business. There is also that fact that nothing happens overnight and that results can be slow depending on what is there to work through. If someone’s troubles started young, it’s unrealistic to expect great change in a short time. 

This may sound trite but it can get better. We humans are super resilient and we can come back from the unthinkable… most of the time. Other things have helped me in my life have been my own  natural will, making music, consuming live music, dancing and making art. Medication can also be helpful if needed- no shame if you find you need some store-bought chemical if your brain can’t produce it. 

Those were just some thoughts of mine on therapy and my experience with it. If you carry significant pain, it will be there regardless of what you do. I have found that there are ways to release it that makes day to day life just a little easier. 






Greetings! This is a small blog about random topics, unofficial and laid back! **If you like my little blog and want to support me: Paypal - @latona84 🙏🏽 Chime - $Sonia-Lopez-59 😌 buymeacoffee.com/tona11 ☕️ Cash.app - /$toabajalife 💸 THANK YOU! : )  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The year so far

Mr. Tamborine Man

Stabbing at SF General